|All Seeing White Eye|
|Appears in||Anime, Manga, Game, Movie|
Eight Trigrams Grid Palm (Anime only)
Eight Trigrams Mountain Crusher (Anime only)
Eight Trigrams One Hundred Twenty-Eight Palms (Anime only)
Eight Trigrams Palms Revolving Heaven
Eight Trigrams Sixteen Palms (Novel only)
Eight Trigrams Sixty-Four Palms
Eight Trigrams Thirty-Two Palms (Anime only)
Eight Trigrams Twin Lions Crumbling Attack (Movie only)
Eight Trigrams Vacuum Palm
Eight Trigrams Vacuum Wall Palm
Eighty Gods Vacuum Attack
Front Lotus: Eight Trigrams Palms Revolving Heaven (Movie only)
Gentle Fist: Tenketsu Needle (Anime only)
Gentle Step Spiralling Twin Lion Fists (Movie,Novel only)
Gentle Step Twin Lion Fists
Protecting Eight Trigrams Sixty-Four Palms (Anime only)
Puppet Reincarnation (Movie only)
Rabbit Hair Needle
Water Needle (Anime only)
The Byakugan (白眼, Literally meaning: White Eye, Meaning (Viz): All Seeing White Eye) is a kekkei genkai dōjutsu that originated from the Ōtsutsuki clan. After the Ōtsutsuki settled on Earth, the Byakugan became more commonly associated with the Hyūga clan, descendants of the Ōtsutsuki. It is regarded as one of the "Three Great Dōjutsu", the others being the Sharingan and the Rinnegan.
Unlike dōjutsu such as the Sharingan, which do not manifest until users meet certain conditions, the Byakugan is present from the time of birth. Individuals with the Byakugan are typically identifiable by their unique eyes: the irides are enlarged and white (a light shade of lavender in the anime), and there are no distinguishable pupils. When users activate their Byakugan, the pupils become more distinct and the increased blood flow to their eyes causes the veins near their temples to bulge. Some users' Byakugan take on atypical characteristics:
- Himawari Uzumaki is a descendant of the Hyūga clan through her mother, but ordinarily has the same blue eyes as her father. Her eyes become featureless white only while her Byakugan are in use.
- In Itachi Shinden, Mukai Kohinata's family split off from the Hyūga clan several generations before his birth, leading most to assume his bloodline was too diluted to possess the Byakugan. Mukai does in fact have a Byakugan, but only in his left eye and which only resembles a Byakugan when in use.
- Momoshiki Ōtsutsuki's Byakugan usually appear identical to any other Byakugan, but take on a golden colour after he absorbs Kinshiki Ōtsutsuki's power.
The Byakugan's array of abilities have rendered it highly coveted. Kumogakure has made various attempts to acquire and study the Byakugan over the years, notably during the Hyūga Affair. Ao of Kirigakure was able to acquire a single Byakugan from a Hyūga he defeated, which he goes to great lengths to protect; unlike other dōjutsu that have been transplanted, Ao can activate and deactivate his Byakugan at will. When Danzō Shimura of Konohagakure learns of Ao's Byakugan, he makes immediate plans to either destroy it or take it for himself. In order to prevent the Byakugan from being acquired by enemies, the Hyūga clan developed a practice of applying cursed seals to most of its members; when those branded with the cursed seal die, their Byakugan are destroyed.
The anime implies that simply possessing a Byakugan is not enough to be able to use its powers, and that one must undergo intense training before the Byakugan can be activated, something not all users can accomplish. The anime likewise shows the Byakugan activating automatically if the user is under stressful circumstances, even if they haven't learned how to activate it on their own. Once a user does become able to use the Byakugan, they must avoid using it excessively, otherwise they will be rendered unable to keep it active until they've taken time to rest.
The primary ability of the Byakugan gives the user a near 360º field of vision, except for one blind spot at the back of the neck above the third thoracic vertebra. Upon activation of the dōjutsu, the wielder is granted an automatic 50 meter field of vision around themselves which can then be extended at their discretion.
The second ability is being able to see through solid objects, as well as some degree of telescopic sight. It can also see through most barriers, and other things such as smokescreens, differentiate between non-corporeal clones and can see through techniques that would otherwise hide an opponent from normal sight. The distance and the degree of telescopic sight varies from person to person, and can be improved through training. In Part I, Neji Hyūga was able to see an area of 50 metres, but he later increases his visual range to at least 800 metres, while Hinata Hyūga's range in Part II stretches at least as far as 10 km. However, the Byakugan cannot see through certain barriers, such as the Four Black Fog Battle Formation used by the Sound Four.
The third and one of the greatest uses of the Byakugan is the ability to see chakra, chakra flow, the chakra circulation system inside the body with great detail as well as the colour of chakra. It is from this particular ability that the Hyūga Clan are able to employ their ultimate attack style: Gentle Fist. Unlike the Strong Fist, which is focused on external injuries, the Gentle Fist style focuses on internal injuries. Each strike, when placed correctly, strikes along the chakra pathway system, which is the network of vessels that carry chakra. This network is closely intertwined with the functioning of the body's organs, and so, when the keirakukei take damage, the organs suffer as well. There is no defence against the Gentle Fist, since one cannot train one's internal organs to become stronger. The only possible defence is to stop the Gentle Fist's hits from connecting. Like the Sharingan and Rinnegan, the Byakugan's ability to see chakra and its flow allows the user to detect chakra sealed barriers as well as determine when genjutsu is being used. It was shown in the anime that the Byakugan can also discern a transformation, and a real person using the eye's ability to see chakra.
Particularly skilled users of the Byakugan can take the Gentle Fist style one step further. Along the keirakurei are 361 pinprick-sized nodes called tenketsu, or chakra points, which only the more skilled users can see. When struck, the Byakugan user can choose to either seal, or forcibly open these tenketsu, thus giving the user complete control over their opponent's chakra system. So, with precision, all those points along the victim's body can be sealed, stopping the chakra flow to those areas. Able to strike without force, and yet do more damage to a ninja than some of the most powerful ninjutsu, the Gentle Fist has been labelled as the greatest taijutsu style known in all of Konohagakure. In the Search for the Bikōchū Arc, Hinata demonstrated two other abilities with her Byakugan: the ability to magnify and zoom, effectively seeing every small insect in the area and to see the infrared spectrum allowing her to detect things through their body heat.
Constantly using the Byakugan over a very long period of time causes severe eye strain, as seen with Neji Hyūga, who at that point, could not tell the difference between Kiba Inuzuka, and Akamaru. This condition however, is not permanent.
The Byakugan also is capable of extending the range of genjutsu and other vision-related techniques.
- The kanji for Byakugan (白眼) can also be pronounced as shirome or hakugan. When the latter two pronunciations are used, 白眼 is used to refer to the sclerae.
- Sometimes the users of the Byakugan use hand seals when activating the ability, though it is also able to activate without any seals, presumably indicated a certain level of chakra control needed. The used seals are: Horse, Tiger with lifting just index fingers, Boar with nearly straightened fingers, Hare, Rat, Dog, Horse, Dog, Hare, Rat, Boar with nearly straightened fingers, and Snake with the right index finger lifted straight up. Sometimes just the last seal is used, and most commonly, no seals are used.
- The Byakugan is noted to have greater vision and insight than the Sharingan.
- When depicted in the anime, the eyes of the Hyūga tend to have slight hints of lavender colour in them, despite the fact that they are supposed to be completely white.
- In the anime, the Byakugan's sight is normally illustrated in inverted black and white colour. However, there are instances in the manga which contradicts this notion.
- Unlike a transplanted Sharingan or Rinnegan, a transplanted Byakugan can be activated and deactivated at will.
- The Byakugan may be a recessive genetic trait or inherited through the father, as Hinata Hyūga had two children with Naruto Uzumaki (a non-Hyūga), with neither receiving the dōjutsu.
- ↑ Naruto chapter 671, page 9
- ↑ Naruto chapter 78
- ↑ Sha no Sho, page 313
- ↑ Naruto chapter 619
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ "The Day Naruto Became Hokage"
- ↑ Boruto chapter 8
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Naruto chapter 102
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Naruto chapter 459
- ↑ Naruto chapter 471
- ↑ Naruto chapter 469, page 3
- ↑ Boruto episode 8
- ↑ Boruto episode 9
- ↑ Naruto chapter 540, page 4