Wind Release (風遁, Fūton, English TV: Wind Style) is one of the five basic elemental nature transformations. It is performed by making chakra as sharp and thin as possible. Wind Release is mainly short to mid-ranged offensive techniques that combine brute force and keen precision to deal cutting and slashing damage. A rarity among the five chakra natures, wind techniques are usually performed by generating air circulation and can be enhanced through this method as well. Wind-natured chakra can also be channelled into blades to increase their cutting power and overall range. The wind affinity is seemingly more common amongst shinobi of Sunagakure. Wind Release also specialises in deflecting and even reflecting attacks.
In Sasuke Shinden: Book of Sunrise, a stronger form of Wind Release is introduced called Typhoon Release (颱遁, Taiton). This kekkei genkai is used to summon storms that mow down the surroundings and are strong enough to move entities like Sasuke Uchiha's Susanoo.
Relationship with other Natures
- Wind is strong against lightning because it is a natural electrical insulator but weak against fire because the flames are fuelled by air.
- Wind Release can be used in conjunction with Fire Release to augment the strength of the fire technique.
- Additionally, it can be used with Water Release to increase the latter's concussive and overall destructive power.
- Wind-natured chakra is a component of the following kekkei genkai: Ice Release, Scorch Release and Magnet Release.
- Naruto chapter 317, page 18
- Naruto chapter 479, page 8
- Naruto chapter 336, page 12
- Naruto chapter 337, page 16